Notes for Solid State: Solid State Chemistry is also known as materials chemistry. Since the school days, we have been learning about three states of matter, and the solid state is one among them. With the advancement of classes, the concepts become advanced that need deep study. Solid state has different characteristics apart from the other two states- liquid and gas. It is the study of the arrangement of atoms of a compound.
Students can also visit Department Wise Lecture Notes for Preparation.
Solid State Chemistry largely involves the properties, its structure, and the synthesis of the material. It generally involves deep study of the state that gives detailed research from the molecular level to its crystal structure. Students will get a deep knowledge about chemical composition and design of the solid materials. In the article below, you will get a deep understanding regarding the below-mentioned concepts on Solid-State Chemistry that you can ever find:
- Reference Books on Solid-State Chemistry
- Solid-State Chemistry Lecture Curriculum
- List of Important Questions on Solid-State Chemistry
- Frequently Answered Questions on Solid State Chemistry
Introduction to Solid-State Chemistry Notes
The physical appearance of different compounds varies in a solid state. Suppose we take an example of a wooden table and a chair. They have the same physical properties but different shapes. However, if you want to change the physical properties of the matter, then it is possible with temperature and applied pressure. This concept is known as the Change of state of the matter. Students learn about the different properties of the solid state. However, Solid-State Chemistry is the deep study on each of its property. They will learn about the packing of the molecules, ions, and atoms. They will get through deep research of force between the molecules and why solids are rigid. For each property of the solid, you will get a deep knowledge through Solid-State Chemistry.
The study generally includes non stoichiometric compounds due to varying structure and thermodynamic properties of those solid compounds. Solids are of two types- Crystalline (one those have fixed shape and form typical geometry) and Amorphous solids (one those are rigid but do not have specific geometrical structure).
Solid State Chemistry Lecture Notes and Study Material with Free PDF Download
If you want to score good marks in the exams, then you need to study complete lecture notes of Solid-State Chemistry. You will get different types of questions along with solutions in the free PDF available. While preparing for the exams, students need to go through a proper pattern which ensures students taking less time while attempting the paper. The important topics that are to be covered under Solid State Chemistry Lecture Notes include an in-depth study of different properties of solids. These include size, shape, structure, and other physical properties of solids. Students can have good knowledge of intermolecular interaction between the atoms and the forces applied. Also, they will have a piece of complete knowledge for the definite pattern, mass, and volume of a compound.
Solid State Notes are professionally written, which will surely help students to mark out important topics to cover under the solid-state. Also, they can learn about oscillation between particles from their mean positions, why solid compounds are intact and have little space between them. They will get through in-depth knowledge of crystalline and amorphous solids with the physical and chemical properties associated with them. Thus these notes help students to formulate a proper strategy of clearing their exams.
Reference books of Solid State are to provide clear cut knowledge about the topic which also have question bank at the end. These books cover every important topic that is essential to cover for the preparation. Students will get complete practical examples along with structure illustrative diagrams for the topic. There is a summary at the end of the chapter on the solid state, which will give a brief on the topic. Thus it helps students to learn and grow rapidly. Below are some mentioned reference books that you can refer while preparing in-depth for the Solid State.
- “Solid State Chemistry and its Applications” by A R West
- “Solid State Chemistry – An Introduction” by L Smart and E Moore
- “Material Science and Engineering” by V Raghavan
- “Structure and Dynamics – An atomic view of Materials” by M T Dove
- “Diffusion in Ceramics (Solid Mechanics and Its Applications)” by Joshua Pelleg
- “Solid State Electrochemistry and its Applications to Sensors and Electronic Devices” by K S Goto
It could be challenging and exhaustive for the students to undergo depth learning in the minimum time. There is no limit to the knowledge you gain. However, a properly formulated curriculum can help them out to prepare in a better way. The better students prepare according to the syllabus, the better they could gain knowledge. Hence it is better to go through Solid State Lecture Notes once. Below is the curriculum ith topic names that you need to prepare under this subject.
|Structure of the Atom||The Periodic Table, Evolution of Atomic Theory, Elements and Compounds, Chemical Formulas|
|Crystalline Materials||Crystal Structure, 7 Crystal System, Miller Indices, Bravis Lattices, Properties of cubic crystals|
|Solid Solutions||Phase stability, unary, binary phase diagrams|
|Electronic Materials||Band Theory, Metals, Insulators, Band Gaps, Semiconductors|
|Amorphous Materials||Silicates, Metallics, Oxides, Inorganic glasses|
|Reactions and Kinetics||Kinetic Reactions, Rate laws and Thermal activation, Fick’s First and second law|
|Aqueous Solutions||Acids, Bases, pH|
|Bonding and molecules||Primary bonding, metallic, ionic, and covalent bonding, Dipole-dipole bonding|
- Which point defect in its crystal form changes the density of a solid?
- Which point defect in the crystals solid forms does not change the density of the relevant solid?
- How are metallic and ionic substances different for conducting electricity?
- In one unit cell of a face-centred cubic crystal, how many numbers atoms are present?
- Which point defect in crystals of a solid does not change the defined density of the solid?
- In a polar molecular solid, what kind of interactions or attraction helps in holding the molecules together?
- Write one distinctive property of the metallic solids.
- Which stoichiometric defect of the crystals increments the density of a solid?
- How can you increase the conductivity of a semiconductor(intrinsic type)?
- What do you mean by the term ‘doping’ in a semiconductor?
- How will you distinguish between a metallic solid and an ionic solid?
- What stoichiometric defect do AgBr and AgCl show?
- Why does LiCl convert into the pink shade when heated in Li vapors?
- What defects arise when you heat a solid?
- What are n-type semiconductors?
- How may the conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor be increased?
- Explain the statement: ‘Crystalline solids are anisotropic in nature.
How can you distinguish between ionic and metallic solid?
In the ionic solids, electricity conduction is because of freely moving ions but metallic solids in because of freely moving electrons.
Why do we call crystalline solids anisotropic?
Crystalline solids have different values for different properties. Some of the properties include a refractive index, thermal expansion, conductivity, and much more.
What kind of stoichiometric defect do AgCl and NaCl shows?
AgCl represents Frenkel Defect while NaCl shows Schottky defect.
Distinguish between the unit cell and the crystalline lattice.
Crystalline lattice consists of a regular arrangement of atoms in three-dimensional space. However, the unit cell is defined as the repetition of crystalline lattice over and again.
Solid State Chemistry Notes as mentioned above ill surely help students to score good marks in their final examination. These notes are to develop a basic understanding of the students with solid state concept. Also, they will learn different techniques to attempt exams. Students who want to study this topic can go for these notes.