In this Page, We are Providing Basics of Python – String. Students can visit for more Detail and Explanation of Python Handwritten Notes Pdf.
Basics of Python – String
Python can manipulate string, which can be expressed in several ways. String literals can be enclosed in matching single quotes (‘) or double quotes (“); e.g. ‘hello’, “hello” etc. They can also be enclosed in matching groups of three single or double quotes (these are generally referred to as triple- quoted strings), e.g. ‘ hello ‘, “hello”. A string is enclosed in double-quotes if the string contains a single quote (and no double quotes), else it is enclosed in single quotes.
>>> "doesnt" 'doesnt' >>> "doesn't" "doesn't" >>> '"Yes," he said.' ' "Yes., " he said. '
The above statements can also be written in some other interesting way using escape sequences.
>>> "doesn\' t" ; "doesn ' t” ‘>>> '\"Yes,\" he said.' ' "Yes," he said.'
- Python Interview Questions on Data Types and Their in-built Functions
- 4 Methods for Creating Python Multiline Strings
- How to Create Multi Line String Objects in Python ?
Escape sequences are character combinations that comprise a backslash (\) followed by some character, that has special meaning, such as newline, backslash itself, or the quote character. They are called escape sequences because the backslash causes an escape from the normal way characters are interpreted by the compiler/interpreter. The print statement produces a more readable output for such input strings. Table 2-12 mentions some of the escape sequences.
A backslash (\).
|Single quote (‘).|
Double quote (“).
String literals may optionally be prefixed with a letter r or R, such string is called raw string, and there is no escaping of character by a backslash.
>>> str=' This is \n a string ' >>> print str This is a string >>> str=r' This is \n a string ' >>> print str This is \n a string
Specifically, a raw string cannot end in a single backslash.
>>> str=r ' \ ' File "<stdin>", line 1 str=r ' \ ' ∧ SyntaxError: EOL while scanning string literal
Triple quotes are used to specify multi-line strings. One can use single quotes and double quotes freely within the triple quotes.
>>> line=" " "This is . . . a triple . . . quotes example" " " >>> line ' This, is\na triple\nquotes example' >>> print line This is a triple quotes example
Unicode strings are not discussed in this book, but just for the information that a prefix of ‘ u ‘ or ‘ U’ makes the string a Unicode string.
The string module contains a number of useful constants and functions for string-based operations. Also, for string functions based on regular expressions, refer to re module. Both string and re modules are discussed later in this chapter.
Python String Programs
- Python How to Get First N Characters in a String
- Python How to Get Last N Characters in a String
- Python How to Iterate Over The Characters in String
- Check The First or Last Character of a String in Python
- Python How to Convert a List to String
- Python How to Convert Datetime Object to String Using Datetime Strftime
- Python How to Convert integer to String 5 Ways
- Python How to Sort a List of Strings List Sort Tutorial Examples
- Python Capitalize The First Letter of Each Word in a String
- Remove Last N Characters From String in Python
- Python How to Access Characters in String by index
- Python How to Replace Single or Multiple Characters in a String
- Python Replace Multiple Characters in a String
- Python Convert String Float
- Python Replace a Character in a String
- Python How to Pad Strings With Zero Space or Some Other Character
- Python How to Remove Characters From a String by index
- Check If Type of a Variable Is String in Python 3 Ways
- Python Check If String Is Empty or Blank or Contain Spaces only